Minh C. Wai is a seasoned trial attorney with more than 21 years of extensive experience handling civil litigation matters for insurers, excess carriers, corporate clients, contractors, airport entities and third-party administrators in complex litigation. He has handled a variety of cases including catastrophic injury cases, errors and omission, bad faith, commercial, professional liability, wrongful death, coverage disputes, traumatic brain injury, transportation, premises liability, product defect, construction defect, home insurance, automobile accidents, as well as professional liability, including legal, medical, realtor, and agent malpractice matters as well as architects and engineers. Minh has handled matters involving toxic tort and environmental claims, including latex glove, lead paint, tobacco litigation, and asbestos claims.
Minh practices regularly in state and federal courts in Indiana, Illinois, and Wisconsin. His goal is to always obtain the best possible result for his clients through settlement or trial, using an aggressive practice defense tailored to the specific needs of the case. Minh is skilled at determining the value of each case, which has resulted in many of his cases resolving under authority. His goal is to convince the opposition of the true value of a case prior to the need for trial. However, if trial is the preferred strategy, Minh has extensive trial experience handling large and complex litigation.
Minh shared his knowledge by teaching law students at Valparaiso University School of Law. He has also taught Employment Law at Keller Graduate School of Management and Criminal Justice at Purdue University.
- Minh recently tried a rear end collision case with two injured plaintiffs. The settlement demands together exceeded more than $500,000. Once trial began, the defense won a series of critical motions in limine, resulting in the plaintiffs settling for a fraction of the demand.
- In a week-long jury trial, Minh obtained a defense verdict wherein the plaintiff claimed medical expenses in excess of $730,000 arising out of an accident involving allegations of “street racing/speed contest.” At closing, Plaintiff asked the jury for between $5 million and $7 million. The jury deliberated for 30 minutes and returned with the defense verdict.
- Minh obtained a defense verdict in a three-vehicle rear-end collision where liability was admitted and the plaintiff claimed medical expenses more than $50,000. The plaintiff sought judgment in excess of $300,000 at trial.
- Representing a transportation company and its driver, Minh settled a matter involving a complex 27-vehicle pile-up. The plaintiff’s initial demand was $15 million based on a traumatic brain injury and burns on 25% of the plaintiff’s body. A thorough investigation and discovery provided a defense that resulted in settlement under $700,000.
- Minh settled a highly contentious case on behalf of a national garbage disposal company alleged to have run over a boy represented by one of the nation’s premier plaintiff’s personal injury attorneys. The initial demand was $7.5 million, but the case settled on the eve of trial at the low end of the settlement range of the initial settlement evaluation.