Herschel joined Kopka Pinkus Dolin in 2022 and practices litigation with an emphasis in defense, insurance, municipal, public entities, and civil rights law.
Herschel has briefed and achieved success in several cases before Wisconsin Court of Appeals. Herschel has also been awarded summary judgment in dozens of Federal Court cases. Chief among his successes is the case Meier v. Wadena Ins. Co., 2021 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 156557, 2021 WL 3679614. In that case, the Honorable Judge Brett Ludwig granted summary judgment in Herschel’s client’s favor on an intricate legal issue regarding insurer bad faith and the proper calculation of actual cash value under an insurance policy following a catastrophic loss.
Herschel’s grandfather was a State Supreme Court Justice, and his grandmother was the first women to graduate from her law school. After graduating from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, Herschel followed in his grandparents’ footsteps and attend the University of Wisconsin Law School. Herschel graduated law school cum laude, was awarded the Dean’s Academic Achievement Award, received Dean’s List honors in every semester, and earned an Honors Concentration in Business Law.
Following graduation, Herschel was a judicial law clerk for multiple judges in the First Judicial District of Wisconsin. As a judicial clerk, Herschel drafted decisions and orders on a litany of legal topics, including complex and novel legal issues relating to insurance coverage, products liability, construction claims, and employment law. After his clerkship, Herschel went on to work for a defense litigation firm that emphasized in trial defense.
- “Alternative Dispute Resolutions,” client presentation (2023)
- “RFN and RFA,” client presentation (2023)
- “Traumatic Brain Injuries,” client presentation (2023)
- “Anatomy of a Pro Se Civil Rights Lawsuit from Inception to Dismissal” (2022)
- “PLRA Inadequate Medical Care Claims and Effective Cooperation Between Medical and Correctional Defendants,” Wisconsin Corporate Counsel Defense Counsel Forum (2022)
- “Basics of a Claims Investigation and Law Updates” (2022)