Paul Pytlik has over 37 years of litigation experience with a focus on transportation liability, product liability, premises liability, construction claims, professional liability, medical malpractice, legal malpractice, architects and engineers, civil rights violations, toxic tort and environmental claims, and complex insurance coverage litigation.
Before graduating from the University of Wisconsin Law School in 1984, Paul obtained dual bachelor’s degrees in criminal justice and psychology. In law school, he clerked for a large insurance defense firm in the Milwaukee area. He also served as a law clerk for the Board of Attorney’s Professional Responsibility, the agency of the Wisconsin Supreme Court which is responsible for the investigation and prosecution of ethics complaints against attorneys.
Paul has tried over 125 cases to verdict and has represented his clients in numerous arbitration proceedings. Of note, just three years after law school, he tried a multi-million-dollar construction lawsuit involving a high-rise condominium project as counsel for one of the primary defendants. This case, which resulted in a favorable defense verdict, lasted in excess of eight weeks, and is still one of the longest trials in Wisconsin legal history.
Paul has successfully defended 4 separate “rear-ender” semi tractor-trailer accidents to “no negligence’ verdicts. Paul has numerous reported published and unpublished opinions from the Wisconsin Court of Appeals and Wisconsin Supreme Court, as well as the Federal District and Appellate Courts and has been awarded an AV rating from Martindale Hubbell.
Paul has the distinction of being the only lawyer to try a wrongful death case in Milwaukee County Small Claims Court and win. Paul was paid the ultimate compliment when a plaintiff, who was “zeroed out” in a previous trial that Paul defended, requested that his own insurer retain Paul when that same plaintiff was later sued by another plaintiff for personal injuries sustained in a subsequent accident.
- State Bar of Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Defense Counsel
- “The Long and Winding Road(map): The Fab 4 PFAS Topics on the Insurance Radar Screen,” Environmental & Emerging Claim Manager Association Annual Conference (2023)
- “Standing to Sue in Legal Malpractice Claims” – presented to major professional liability insurance carrier
- “Anatomy of a Pro Se Prisoner Civil Rights Case from Inception to Dismissal” – presented to nationwide correctional healthcare provider
- “Tender of Defense for Insurance and Indemnity” – GAB Robins Property/Casualty Seminar
- “The Practical Impact of Recent Changes in Comparative Negligence, Punitive Damage and UM/UIM Laws in Wisconsin” – GAB Robins Property/Casualty Seminar
- “Life after the City of Edgerton Case – Insurance Coverage for Environmental claims” – State Bar of Wisconsin Winter Convention
- Garido Chisanto v. Heritage Relocation.2013 WI App 1369 (Ct. App. 2014)
- Krien v. Harsco Corp.. 745 F.3d 313 (7th Cir. 2014)
- Fabco Equipment, Inc, v. Kreilkamp Trucking, Inc.. 2013 WI App 141, 352 Wis. 2d 106, 841 N.W.2d 542 (Ct. App. 2013)
- Stuart v. Weisflog’s Showroom Gallery. Inc.. 2008 WI 22, 308 Wis. 2d 103, 746 N.W.2d 762 (Wis. 2008)
- Wisconsin State Local Government Property Ins. Fund v. Thomas A. Mason Co..2008 WI App 49, 308 Wis.2d 512, 748 N.W.2d 476 (Ct. App. 2008)
- Fox v. Catholic Knights Ins. Soc.. 2003 WI 87, 263 Wis. 2d 207, 665 N.W.2d 181 (Wis. 2003)
- Johnson Controls. Inc, v. Employers Ins, of Wausau, 2002 WI App 30, 250 Wis. 2d 319, 640 N.W.2d 205 (Ct. App. 2002)
- Boomsma v. Star Transp., Inc..202 F.Supp.2d 869 (E.D. Wis. 2002)
- Braverman v. Columbia Hosp.. Inc.. 2001 WI App 106, 244 Wis. 2d 98, 629 N.W.2d 66 (Ct.App. 2001)
- Jensen v. Wisconsin Patients Compensation Fund, 2001 WI 9, 241 Wis. 2d 142, 621 N.W.2d 902 (Wis. 2001)
- Gebov v.TRL Inc..159 F.3d 993 (7th Cir.1998)
- Sybron Transition Corp. v. Security Ins. Co. of Hartford.107 F.3d 1250 (7th Cir. 1997)
- Bradley Corp. v. Zurich Ins. Co.. 984 F.Supp. 1193 (E.D. is.1997)
- Poppy bv Cabaniss v. Muehlenberg.215 Wis. 2d 58, 571 N.W.2d 914 (Ct. App. 1997)
- Robert E. Lee & Associates. Inc, v. Peters. 206 Wis. 2d 509, 557 N.W.2d 457 (Ct. App. 1996)
- Spic and Span, Inc, v. Continental Cas. Co..203 Wis. 2d 118, 552 N.W.2d 435 (Ct.App. 1996)
- Towne Realty v. Zurich Ins. Co..201 Wis. 2d 260, 548 N.W.2d 64 (Wis.1996)
- S. v. Crown Equipment Corp.. 86 F.3d 700 (7th Cir. 1996)
- Towne Realty v. Zurich Ins. Co..193 Wis. 2d 544, 534 N.W.2d 886 (Ct. App. 1995)
- Acme Printing Ink Co. v. Menard. Inc..891 F.Supp. 1289 (E.D. Wis.1995)
- Probst v. Labor and Industry Review Com’n, 153 Wis. 2d 185, 450N.W.2d 478 (Ct. App.1989)