Berton May has been a litigation and trial attorney for more than 30 years. He started his career as a plaintiff’s attorney and practiced as such for approximately 12 years. He now has more than 20 years under his belt as a defense attorney. This gives Bert a unique and insightful view of Plaintiff strategy and uses it to strengthen his cases.
He defends clients involving a myriad of personal injury claims and litigation matters and is a skilled and well-rounded defense attorney. He is skilled at defending third-party bodily injury claims, no-fault, PIP, and first-party claims, UM/UIM, premises liability, negligence, medical malpractice, environment cases involving bodily injury, as well as automobile negligence claims. In his 30-year career he has also represented clients on insurance coverage issues, mortgage litigation, internet privacy matters on behalf of internet providers, food poisoning defense, and professional liability claims.
Bert actively practices throughout both Michigan and Ohio. He has also been admitted and handle cases Pro Hac Vice in about half dozen other jurisdictions.
Bert attended Central Michigan University and then completed his B.P.A. at Wayne State University. He graduated from Cooley Law School in Lansing, MI in 1988.
On a more personal level, Bert has been married for more than 35 years and raised 3 daughters who are now all adults. Two are teachers and the other is a USA gymnastics certified coach. Bert lives on the Lake Michigan shoreline but works out of our office in Grand Rapids.
- State Bar of Michigan
- Ohio State Bar Association
- Muskegon County Bar Association, Vice President (2023-2024)
- Michigan Defense Trial Counsel
- Sucoe v. Oakwood Hospital, et al, 185 Mich. App. 484 (1990) (argued) Discovery of consulting, non-testifying experts is limited, this decision resulted in Michigan adopting the Federal Rule on this issue now MCR 2.302 (B)(4)(b)
- Inloes v. Larry Alton, DO, et al (unpublished Court of Appeals #253841, May 19, 2005)
- Kurc v. McLaren Regional Medical Center (unpublished Court of Appeals #233936, November 8, 2002)
- Afholter v. Matuk (unpublished Court of Appeals #336059, March 8, 2018, application for Appeal to the MSC denied #157566)
- Townes & Isquierdo v. USAA (unpublished Court of Appeals #342360, MSC #158426)
- Stout v. Chapman (unpublished Court of Appeals #355608, November 5, 2021, application for leave pending MSC #163832)