Kopka Pinkus Dolin (KPD) is a multi-state insurance law firm seeking 2L and 3L students interested in insurance defense litigation, worker’s compensation, and civil litigation. KPD is looking for thrilled litigators who have an aptitude and willingness to work with client relations and our core practices in commercial litigation, construction, toxic tort & environmental liability amongst other practice areas.
Our firm is a highly respected litigation firm with multiple locations in five states whose foundation is built on our core values of mutual respect, exceeding expectations, seeking knowledge and self-improvement, and providing concierge service to our clients. Internships are both a way for the Legal Apprentice to get a sense of the industry and practical experience and a method for law firms to assess potential hires once they finish law school.
The Legal Apprentice will have the opportunity to work with different attorneys. The attorney will supervise, review work product, and provide feedback to the Legal Apprentice. Job duties consist of, but are not limited to, the following:
- Attend attorney team meetings.
- Attend Diary meetings.
- Attend depositions, trials, mediations, court hearings, settlement conferences and other scheduled events.
- Review court documents, depositions, claims files, medical records and other documents, draft summaries.
- Prepare routine discovery.
- Interview insured to answer discovery.
- Prepare Motions and Order.
- Review and summarize Claim Files.
- Legal Research.
- Draft memos.
- Work with Document Production Assistants to learn:
- File maintenance.
- Incoming and Outgoing Mail procedures.
- Office Equipment (Copiers and Scanners).
Work Hours and Benefits
- 20 – 30 hours/weekly for summer apprentices.
- Summer apprentice with the option to work during Fall and Spring.
- Will study the actual practice of law under the supervision of a licensed attorney.
- Will gain a greater understanding of the internal workings of a law office.
- Will have further refined valuable research and legal skills that can be carried into the future.
- Will gain experience in legal writing and argument in the context of actual civil and workers compensation cases.
- Regular scheduled professional development (Share Your Knowledge).
- Will gain a better understanding of billing procedures.
Training and Support
- New hire orientation.
- Planned Office Activities.
- Assignment Check-In.
- Coffee and Conversations.
Education and Requirements
- Writing sample (10-page max) along with resume.
- 2L and 3L Law Students.
As a regional firm, we believe in embedding diversity and inclusion across everything we do by investing in the next generation of leaders. Our mission is to serve our clients, and our culture makes it possible. We invite you to learn more at www.kopkalaw.com. If our core values resonate, we invite you to apply. Our team is excited to review your application!
If you would like to work in a supportive firm with like-minded teammates, please submit your resume here. Our Human Resources Manager, Khushbu Shah, is available to answer any questions you may have. Khushbu can be contacted by e-mail or phone: 847-229-3867.