Tracey S. Wetzstein
Crown Point, IN
Tracey S. Wetzstein has been practicing law in Indiana since 1998, with her primary focus on civil litigation, specifically in personal injury. She has handled cases involving trucking, premises liability, construction accidents, food poisoning, product liability, school liability and insurance coverage issues all over the state of Indiana. Prior to joining Kopka Pinkus Dolin, Tracey practiced insurance defense as in-house counsel for a Fortune 100 insurance company, advocating for small and large commercial clients such as nationally known chain restaurants, locally owned coffee shops, bars and healthcare clinics. As first chair counsel, she has tried cases in both state and federal court, as well as handled appeals in these forums.
As part of her advocacy, Tracey has extensive experience in conducting and defending lay and expert witness depositions, representing clients in alternative dispute resolution settings and motion practice. She has successfully obtained dismissals and summary judgments for both individual and commercial clients in federal and state court.
TRIAL AND CASE HIGHLIGHTS
- Tried over 30 cases to verdict in state and federal court as first chair counsel.
- Recently, obtained a defense verdict in a premises liability case in state court, where plaintiff was claiming the need for a corneal transplant after a fireworks accident. The jury deliberated for less than an hour, and returned a verdict finding for the defendants.
- In another recent trial, liability for the rear-end accident was admitted and the plaintiff requested over $98,000 in damages. The jury returned a verdict of $37,500, only $5,000 over the last offer before trial.
- LBM Realty, LLC v. Mannia, 981 N.E.2d 569 (Ind. Ct. App. 2012)
- Madden v. Indiana Dept. of Trans., et al., 832 N.E.2d 1122 (Ind. Ct. App. 2005)
- Messer v. Cerestar USA, Inc., 803 N.E.2d 1240 (Ind. Ct. App. 2004)
U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana
U.S. District Court, Southern District of Indiana
Valparaiso University of Law, J.D., cum laude
Bradley University, B.S., Institute of International Studies
- Lake County Bar Association
- DTCI (Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana)
- DRI (Defense Research Institute)